Hire a Vet Kickoff
Date: Wed 30 April 2014
Time: 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM (FREE Networking Coffee at 0900 hrs)
Location: Northern Virginia Business Center, 3421 Commission Ct., Suite 100, Lake Ridge, VA 22192
This past week, The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported the Veteran Unemployment rate in 2013 was 9%. A few months ago, the Washing Post reported “The unemployment rate for recent veterans is incredibly high“. Last week, McClatchy reported that young post 9-11 vets unemployment is a staggering 21.4%. Fox News this week suggests the Pentagon may be partially to blame, and says “…much of the problem lies in a failure to connect veterans to the right employment services in the right place at the right time.” Yesterday, New Labor Department regulations went into effect that require federal contractors to take steps to hire minimum numbers of protected veterans and disabled workers. With us out of Iraq, and soon out of Afghanistan, the DoD, as reported yesterday in the NY Times, plans to reduce the armed forces to the level before WW-II.
So, veteran unemployment is a major problem and likely to get worse, The good news is that there are a lot of resources out there to help. Companies that want to help need resources. That’s where this event comes in. The NVABC Hire a Vet Kickoff is designed to provide companies with the information/resources they need to comply with the new veteran employment regulations, do their part, and see how to make their businesses succeed and thrive by hiring veterans.
NVABC, in conjunction with our sponsors, is proud to support our nation’s veterans and their transition from military service to the world of business. Companies are invited to come to the NVABC “Hire A Vet” Kickoff, and meet miltary veteran job seekers in the Northern Virginia region, network with other No. VA businesses, and learn about the excellent resources available to support our veteran’s transition. The event is designed to provide businesses with the most updated information and insights to maximize their veteran hiring goals.
At the event, companies and veterans will learn about the resources designed to help veterans find jobs and start businesses as well as the programs in place designed to help employers find and hire veterans. Speakers and topics at the event include
- Delegate Rich Anderson, R-51st, Chairman of VA House of Delegates Veteran Caucus, Author of the V3 Bill
- Virginia Values Veterans (V3) - Andy Schwartz, Program Manager
- Collin Davenport - Prince William County Director, Congr. Gerry Connolly, VA-11th, Sgt Joe Weeren success story
- Objective Rally Point (ORP) - France Hoang, Partner, Fluet Huber & Hoang
- Wounded Warrior Project (Warrior to Work) - Caleb Johnson, Regional Coordinator, Northern Virginia, OIF Veteran,
- Small Business Administration (SBA) – Invited
- Veterans Administration (VA) – Invited
- HirePurpo.se - Invited
- Project Transition USA - Nancy Laine, President
- Special Operations Warrior Foundation
- Prince William Chamber of Commerce, Veterans Council, Mr. Mark Schabber, Chairman
Sponsorships are available. Please call NVABC for details at 571-267-1445 or send an email.
NVABC would like to offer a special Thank You to our Sponsors…